Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bicycles

I've wanted a new bike for years, but just couldn't justify the expense. Sure, I could pick up a bike from Costco for $300, but it just wouldn't meet my needs. Then again, it seemed silly to spend a lot of money at a bike store since I don't do much biking. I always found myself debating the two points, and ultimately I'd decide to stick with Anthony (my Diamondback bike).

Anthony and I go way back, and I can prove it. I don't know how many people would still have a twenty year old receipt, but you know me, so of course, I do.


My parents bought me Anthony on September 3, 1988 as an early birthday present. I hadn't cracked age 14, and I don't even think front shocks existed back then, let alone full suspension.

Anyway, a new day finally dawned, and I purchased a new bike today. He doesn't have a name yet, but he seems like Max.


Well, I keep dozing off while trying to write this, so I guess I should close my laptop and get some sleep.

UPDATE

I wanted to see the weight difference between my two bikes. Anthony weighs 37 pounds, and Max weighs 29 pounds 6 ounces. Thank goodness I don't have to lug around that extra eight pounds anymore!

4 comments:

Kiyotaco said...

I finally read your blog. Nice bike! Now you should buy Nancy one so you can ride together off into the sunset with a picnic basket, your kitty's and bottle of wine. :-)

Matthew Taylor said...

We bought Nancy a Diamondback a few years ago, at the same shop we bought Max. Her name is Judy. I really wanted to buy a bike at that time, but, you know, it's like I said in my post.

N. Taylor said...

I told Matthew that he needed to buy a basket so that Hooper could go riding with us, he didn't think that was a good idea. I love it how you still have the receipt for your bike. : )

Natalie said...

Wow! Cool bike!

I have a lovely bike in my garage I spent too much money for about 11 or 12 years ago. It's gotten quite beaten up considering I can probably count on both hands how many times it's been ridden.

Hooper may be the exception, but I'm guessing most cats don't want to go on a bike ride...;)